Thursday, November 12, 2009

Happy birthday, Mr. Orringer!

I don't speak French. Apparently, a great portion of my family lives in France: my late Grandfather's sister immigrated to France after WW2 and together with her husband raised four children. But I do speak some English, and as you can see I can even compose a sentence or two into a logical phrase. Thanks, Mr. Ruben Moses, my high school English teacher - I owe you that one. Luckily, another big portion of my family lives in the US - again it's my grandpa's fault: his uncle immigrated to the states in the 30's, if I recall well. So luckily, my American relatives can read this.

A few years ago I registered to an online genealogy tool and started an online family tree. I added as many relatives as I could, did some research to cover knowledge gaps and consulted my parents and grandmother. This turned out to be quite viral - relatives added their own relatives and the tree grew up rapidly. I could have forgotten all about it, but luckily this service keeps sending me birthday reminders.

As a child, I remember that we had some solid connections with our overseas family. We exchanged letters and visits. Well, let's be honest here - they visited us in the holy land way more than we could afford visiting them. My mother's second uncle, Phil and his late wife Margery volunteered and donated to Zionist organizations - something that my parents could not afford. But look what happened: communication has become much easier, transportation is cheaper and our economic situation is better. We keep getting these reminder emails, but seldom bother sending congratulations. When we do send them ("we" - is both sides), a reply is even more rare.

So here is to you, Mr. Eugene Orringer, for your birthday today. Happy birthday Eugene! I wish you and your family a long, happy and healthy life. This is nothing but a sincere and honest birthday greeting. There is and there can't be any hidden agenda behind it. Sorry for the cynicism, but I don't plan to visit NC anytime near, no offense, so you can keep that extra bed folded. Cynicism aside, I am quite sure that if I knocked on your door at 2am asking for a place to stay - I would have been welcome. That's mutual, you know. It's been years since a Weiner or Orringer challenged our hospitality. So let me use this platform to invite you guys to visit us. You know we live in quite an interesting place. It would be our pleasure. I remember well Estelle's visit to Israel, staying at our home when I was a child.

Again, no offense, but this is an open invitation not only to you, Eugene. Wherever you are, my family members, my home is yours. And by the way, hell - I should visit NC one day, shouldn't I?

This post is also translated to Hebrew, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment